Monday, February 20, 2012

Too Early for a Beer?

Sometime last year, those wonderful folk at Moa Brewing Co. crafted something quite unusual. The called it "Breakfast Beer" and styled it after Belgian Wheat's. It was released to much wailing and gnashing of teeth from the media, worried that a beer in the morning would lead to widespread alcoholism.

Well, thankfully a year later the end of times hasn't arrived, and our society hasn't crumbled into a drunken wasteland. I can't help but think that at $8.50 a bottle, this is priced into the beer connoisseurs market, rather than the dedicated morning drinkers, but that's a different story.


What I can say is that this is delicious! On the nose it's all hops and fruit, it's a lot like a good wine in that the aroma is so alluring that i'd almost be happy just to smell it all day (but I wont because I know what wonders lie within! )A real treat to drink with a lovely full wheat mouth feel and a crisp slightly hoppy flavour, with only hints of cherry sweetness. Hugely rewarding and refreshing drinking, and I can't think of a comparable local Wheat Beer.

It really reminds me of a good European Wheat Beer, and a good Fruit Beer, my closest points of reference would be Hoegaarden Wheat Beer and Verboden Vrucht Strong Ale, but it's much more complex that the Wheat and less work than the Verboden Vrucht.

It's definitely not a "session" beer, a couple of these would be plenty. Moa have a reputation for crafting fantastic beers and this lives up to expectation. I don't know if I'd call it a breakfast beer, but I'd be up for 11sies!

No comments:

Post a Comment